Postgraduate Module Descriptor
ARAM054: State and Society in the Middle East
This module descriptor refers to the 2018/9 academic year.
1. Orientalism, Area Studies & Social Science: Approaches to Middle East Politics
2. Historical Sociology of the State in the Middle East
3. Nationalism: Theory, Ideology and Practice
4. Authoritarianism: Violence, Discourse and Symbolic Power
5. Military Politics: Armed Forces and Society
6. Sectarianism: Politics outside the State
7. Religion and State-Building: Modernity without Secularism
8. Political Islam and Civil Society: Inside or Outside the State?
9. Ethnicity: Primordial Ties and Imagined Communities
10. Corruption, Economic Reform and Neo-Patrimonialism
11. a) Informal Politics: Poverty, Power and Resistance
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||22||11 x 2 hour seminars|
|Guided independent study||120||Reading for seminars|
|Guided independent study||158||Completion of course work|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).