Postgraduate Module Descriptor
ARAM188: The Middle East Since 1945
This module descriptor refers to the 2018/9 academic year.
1. Iran, Religion, Revolution and Modernity
2. Turkey and Democracy, 1945-2000
3. Arabism, the Military and Modernity
4. The Arabian Peninsula: Oil and Modernisation
5. Yemen: Socialism and Territorial Unification
6. Palestine, Zionism and the struggle for independence and security
7. Libya: from Monarchy to Revolution
8. Democracy, Sectarianism and Political Development in the Sudan
9. Lebanon: Civil Strife and Liberalism
10. Social Transformation and Land Reforms
11. Civil Society and Urban Life
12. Middle Eastern Oil, the United States and the Arab-Israeli Conflict
Teaching is by two hourly seminars, once a week. Seminars provide the opportunity for detailed discussion of a particular topic. The tutor introduces each seminar. Students will be given guidance in the selection of texts for presentation purposes and in assessing the availability of core texts.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||22||Seminars (2 hours per week)|
|Guided independent study||278||Independent study, consisting weekly of 7 hours reading, 2 hours preparation for presentations and 1 hour to consider assigned questions for that weeks topic, along with 84 hours assigned work for each|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).