Postgraduate Module Descriptor
ARAM081: Advanced Arabic Language
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
This module aims to develop your Arabic language proficiency to Master’s level in reading, writing, grammar, translation, speaking and listening. You will be exposed to a variety of written materials, for example from business, media, religion and politics, which you will read, analyse and translate under the guidance of your instructors. You will develop your ability to use complex syntactical and grammatical structures in written Arabic through regular practice and an extended essay in Arabic. You will develop your conversational skills through intensive use of Arabic both abroad (where circumstances allow) and in the classroom in Exeter and you will learn to intelligently present and debate topics in Arabic.
This intensive language study in combination with the work placement will enhance your future employability, since you will graduate with excellent knowledge and understanding of Arabic and (in normal circumstances) with practical experience of working in an Arab country.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Extract a sense and specific details of authentic written texts from various genres (including literary and journalistic) at CEFRL level C2. |
2. Present a detailed argument written in Arabic in answer to essay questions on a range of topics.
3. Extract a sense and specific details of authentic aural texts from these genres at CEFRL level C2
4. Verbally communicate with competence in Arabic at CEFRL level C2.
5. Engage in an oral discussion of a range of topics in Arabic, articulating own opinions and responding to the opinions of others.
6. Give an oral presentation in Arabic on a defined topic to a small group of listeners and engage in group discussion and debate of the topic presented at CEFRL level C2, articulating own opinions and responding to the opinions of others.
7. Translate passages from a variety of authentic written sources (literary as well as journalistic) into and out of Arabic.
8. Apply your detailed and growing knowledge of a broad range of grammatical features of Arabic to a variety of linguistic tasks.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||9. Consolidate your own learning by using available learning aids, in a variety of media, and organise this process with guidance from course tutors. |
10. Recognise and understand core linguistic terminology individually and as part of a group.
11. Use a bilingual dictionary to glean information about meaning, register, usage and grammatical forms.
12. Engage, under guidance, with Arabic media, printed and online.
13. Demonstrate well developed communicative skills in Arabic including the development of intelligent argument.
|Personal and Key Skills||14. WEorking in groups at solving linguistic tasks at CEFRL level C2. |
15. Deploy cognitive and analytical skills.
16. Utilise subject knowledge to solve problems and develop practical skills.
17. Show a nuanced appreciation of the people who speak (and spoke) Arabic.
18. Utilise practical experience to write a reflective essay.
19. Demonstrate effective use of IT and consolidate time management strategies through further developing skills of self-study.
20. Deploy professional and practical skills gained through undergoing work placement.
21. Develop a personal profile and curriculum vitae for work in the Arab World that demonstrates your experience in the region.
22. Perform in a work environment in a manner in keeping with the expectations of an employer.