Postgraduate Module Descriptor
ARAM237: Advanced Arabic I
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
This module aims to develop your Arabic language proficiency to Master’s level in the following areas: reading, writing, grammar, translation, speaking and listening. You will be exposed to a variety of written materials, for example from business, media, religion and politics, which you will read, analyse and translate under the guidance of your instructors. You will develop your ability to use complex syntactical and grammatical structures in written Arabic through regular practice and an extended essay in Arabic.Furthermore, you will develop your conversational skills through intensive use of an Arabic dialect.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate mastery of complex morphological and syntactical features of Arabic grammar;|
2. Competently read, scan and listen to complex texts;
3. Accurately translate complex texts from Arabic to English and from English to Arabic;
4. Speak fluently in Arabic about a given topic using one Arabic dialect
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Effectively employ stylistic features of written and spoken Arabic.|
|Personal and Key Skills||6. Demonstrate effective use of IT and time management skills;|
7. Demonstrate well developed communicative skills in a foreign language including the development of intelligent argument;
8. Deep knowledge of a foreign culture.