Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA1032: Elementary Turkish II
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
This module aims to develop students skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking Turkish, continuing Elementary Turkish (term 1). The module has the specific aims of developing your knowledge of the fundamental structure of Turkish grammar and language, ability to read elementary texts in Turkish; capacity to carry on conversations in elementary Turkish; understanding of the importance of the Turkish language and civilization in the broader context of Islamic civilization and culture.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. demonstrate mastery of Turkish alphabet and pronunciation;|
2. have a grasp of essential Turkish grammar;
3. read elementary texts in Turkish with or without a dictionary and write basic descriptive texts;
4. carry on basic conversation in elementary Turkish;
5. acquire a basic understanding of the importance of Turkish language and civilisation in the broader context of Islamic civilisation and culture;
|Discipline-Specific Skills||6. identify, describe and manipulate a range of linguistic forms and structures in reading, writing, and conversation;|
7. assimilate basic information about another culture;
|Personal and Key Skills||8. develop time management skills;|
9. conduct independent study, as well as to work in groups in conversation and text-based work;
10. demonstrate confidence in the use of a foreign language and will be able to use the language laboratory.