Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA1033: Elementary Arabic Language
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
The aim of this module is to introduce you to the basics of modern written Arabic starting with the alphabet and progressing to simple sentence structures. You will study Arabic grammar and learn how to read and write Arabic. You will also learn how to speak Arabic fluently and understand what you hear through “listening” activities.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. read elementary texts on familiar topics and understand the main ideas with and without a dictionary, to read texts for basic understanding and finding specific information.|
2. speak about yourself and your environment and carry out conversations on a variety of topics.
3. listen to simple Arabic texts and demonstrate an understanding of what you hear.
4. write simple sentences in Arabic using correct grammar and to translate simple sentences from English to Arabic and from Arabic to English
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Demonstrate the ability to identify and use linguistic structures in writing and in conversation;|
6. Use available learning aids in a variety of media, such as a reference grammar and bilingual dictionary, to consolidate learning;
|Personal and Key Skills||7. develop time management skills and ability to demonstrate how to conduct independent study, as well as how to work in pairs and groups in conversation and on text-based work.|
8. Work in pairs and groups in conversation and on text-based work;
9. Confidently use a foreign language;
10. Use audio-visual material, online resources and the language laboratory.
11. demonstrate the ability to work independently, within a limited time frame, and without access to external sources, to complete a specified task.