Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2010: Work Placement
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
This module aims to guide you through the process of obtaining a work placement for an organisation/company based in the Middle East. It will promote knowledge and understanding of communicating in a practical working environment, whether in local/regional projects or as part of global frameworks within NGOs, media agencies and other organisations. Furthermore, you will have the opportunity to analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of individual projects and programmes in the context of working in a specific field in the Middle East. You will also monitor your own personal development through work experience before, during and after the work placement.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the institutional and political context of at least one type of organization working in the Middle East;|
2. Describe, analyse and deploy one methodology in the area of Middle East and Islamic Studies in the final reflective placement report;
3. Relate your personal experience on your work placement to existing scholarly literature in the context of working in your specific field in the Middle East.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Exercise informed judgement concerning the practical constraints of organizations working in the region;|
5. understand the effect of the organizations institutional and political contexts on its policies and programmes;
6. Exhibit an understanding of the relationship between knowledge and practice;
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Conduct independent research;|
8. Exercise critical judgment in the form of cogent and persuasive writing;
9. Develop a personal profile and curriculum vitae for work in the Middle East that demonstrates skills in Middle East and Islamic Studies; and
10. Perform in a work environment in a manner in keeping with the expectations of the host organisation.