Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2144: Reading Qur'anic Arabic
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
This Classical Arabic close reading module, for students with intermediate Arabic language skills, is designed to provide a review and completion of your knowledge of the principles of Classical Arabic grammar, together with development and practice in related reading, vocabulary and dictionary skills, based on close reading, grammatical and linguistic analysis, and translation of a selection from the Meccan Suras.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Recognize principles of Classical Arabic grammar, and use an Arabic-English dictionary|
2. Deal with grammatical structures of Quranic Arabic.
3. Become familiar with the principles of Quranic reading and tajwid
4. Begin to comprehend the Quranic text on your own, with the aid of an Arabic-English dictionary.
5. Develop your familiarity with the most essential foundational text of the Islamic tradition and of Classical Arabic.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||6. Develop the ability to read Classical Arabic texts accurately (with dictionary).|
7. Contextualise in an appropriate manner sacred texts from an unfamiliar subject matter and a cultural and historical setting.
|Personal and Key Skills||8. Develop skills of analytical and structural analysis|
9. Develop an appreciation of the relation between syntax and semantics, linguistic form and conceptual meaning
10. Develop the ability to approach spiritual, theological, philosophical and existential topics.