Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2148: Arabic for Beginners II
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
This module is designed for students who have completed ARA1015 Arabic for Beginners I. It aims to enhance your reading, writing and communication skills in Modern Written Arabic. The module aims to develop all language-related skills, including reading, listening, speaking, writing and cultural knowledge, by means of written texts and audio-visual clips. By the end of the course, you are expected to have achieved basic to intermediate proficiency in the language.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Use grammatical tools learned on the module to create and understand complex sentences that include main and subordinate clauses; |
2. Use acquired vocabulary to converse and write on a range of topics, including: oneself; friends, family and colleagues; work; and location
3. Be able to translate basic pieces of discourse between Arabic and English;
4. Be able to understand simple audio clips in Modern Standard Arabic.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Apply elementary grammar rules in writing and in conversation;|
6. Acquire language skills required to read more advanced texts on a variety of topics and understand the main ideas with and without a dictionary.
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Develop time management skills and ability to conduct independent study;|
8. Work in pairs and groups in conversation
9. Demonstrate the ability to work independently, within a limited time frame, and without access to external sources, to complete a specified task.