Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2162: Political Economy of Development in the Middle East
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
The list of topics for the class sessions are as follows:
- General presentation of the module and group formation.
- The question of development; Rich and poor states in the Middle East.
- Human Development, income and wealth distribution.
- The oil market; OPEC and OAPEC.
- Oil and economic development: the rentier state and beyond?
- Water in development and conflict in the MENA region.
- Population and labor migration in the MENA region.
- Regional integration in the Arab world.
- Political and economic liberalization in the MENA region.
- Globalization and the Middle East.
- Middle Eastern economies: beyond oil and gas?
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||13||6.5 hours of lectures and 6.5 hours of convenor-facilitated student discussions regarding materials covered in lectures|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||9||6 hours of group presentations and 3 hours of class discussion regarding presentations|
|Guided Independent Study||33||Reading for class (approximately 90 pages of material across 3 readings per class)|
|Guided Independent Study||95||Preparing for assignments through researching, planning and writing essays|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
The corresponding ELE page is located here: http://vle.exeter.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=46.