Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2164: Intermediate Turkish I
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
In this module, continuing Elementary Turkish II, it is expected that all students will learn the proper pronunciation of the vocabulary featured in the textbook by recourse to the teacher during class and to these tapes privately over the course of the week. Translation exercises are regularly given as homework, which is later corrected and analysed by the whole class. Turkish poetry and prose readings are also regularly discussed and analysed in class. The students read and learn all texts given by the teacher over the course of the semester, with some of these texts appearing in the exams.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. demonstrate mastery of intermediate Turkish grammar|
2. have the ability to read intermediate texts in Turkish
3. have the capacity to carry on intermediate level conversation in Turkish
4. acquire a basic understanding of the importance of Turkish language and civilisation in the broader context of Islamic civilisation and culture
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. have the ability to identify, describe and manipulate a range of linguistic forms and structures in reading, writing, and conversation|
6. be able to assimilate basic information about another culture
|Personal and Key Skills||7. develop time management skills|
8. have the ability to conduct independent study, as well as to work in groups in conversation and text-based work
9. demonstrate confidence in the use of a foreign language and will be able to use the language laboratory