Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SSIM903: Advanced Interdisciplinary Research Design
This module descriptor refers to the 2018/9 academic year.
The module will fulfil the ESRC requirement for training in core research design, collection and analysis skills by addressing the on the ground characteristics and challenges of ‘doing’ interdisciplinary research. On completion of the module you will be able to critically assess concepts such as interdisciplinarity, multidisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity. You will have acquired relevant practical skills and knowledge of how a range of methods can be integrated in an ethically sound manner to examine interdisciplinary problems, and will have developed an appreciation of the importance of pertinent interdisciplinary thinking.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Define and communicate the complexities of defining and describing interdisciplinary research.|
2. Appreciate the inherent and necessary interdisciplinarity of studying contemporary social science issues
3. Demonstrate analytical and conceptual skills in your research design and written work.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Demonstrate relevant critical skills for the evaluation of evidence.|
5. Address interdisciplinary problems from a range of social science perspectives.
6. Elaborate the ethical aspects of interdisciplinary research.
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Elaborate the ethical aspects of interdisciplinary research.|
8. Manage your time to complete an independent research project.
9. Demonstrate lateral, critical and analytical reasoning.