Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA3160: Intermediate Arabic Language I
This module descriptor refers to the 2019/0 academic year.
This module aims to continue development of active and passive learning of Modern Standard Arabic through writing and conversation and to consolidate command of Arabic grammar. This module aims to continue development of Modern Standard Arabic beyond beginners level to early intermediate (Level B1 on the Common European Framework of References for Language) by consolidating and expanding grammar knowledge, and developing reading, writing, translation and conversation skills to communicate and comprehend more complex topics, and build fluency. It will enable you to read authentic texts in Arabic such as media and literary texts.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Handle written Arabic material of various types|
2. write short essays on various topics
3. Translate sentences and short passages from English to Arabic and from Arabic to English.
4. Communicate orally in standard Arabic
5. understand audio clips in Modern Standard Arabic
|Discipline-Specific Skills||6. Read Arabic texts, to write in Arabic, as well as to translate from and into written Arabic, with and without the use of dictionaries|
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Demonstrate time management skills and ability to conduct independent study; to develop communicative skills in a foreign language|
8. work independently, within a limited time frame, and without access to external sources, to complete a specified task