Persian and Iranian Studies
Undergraduate and Postgraduate level
We offer a number of optional modules at Undergraduate and Masters level.
Examples below, we cannot guarantee these will run in all years.
|ARA1020||Elementary Persian 2|
|ARA1021||Introduction to Persian History and Culture|
|ARA2151||Intermediate Persian II|
|ARA3144||Advanced Persian Language I|
|ARA3145||Advanced Persian Language II|
|ARA3146||Iranian History, 1500 - the Present|
To students pursuing study towards an MPhil or PhD, we offer supervision in the following areas:
- Contemporary Iranian politics and international relations
- Iranian history, particularly since 1700, but also earlier periods
- Intellectual history of Safavid and Qajar Iran
- Religion in Iran, from the Seljuk period to the present
- Iranian Shi'ite political and legal thought
- Shi'ite ritual and religion
- Sufism in Central Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and India
- Classical Persian literature
- Modern Persian literature
- The Persian novel
- Civil Society in Iran
- Ethnicity, nationalism and identity
See our research page for more detail.